April 14, 2009

That's My World: Asam Laksa @ Balik Pulau













Normally i heard people saying Air Itam's Asam Laksa is the best! But after i tasted Balik Pulau's @ RM2.50 version, i think this is much better than Air Itam's!


















The gravy is thicker with bountiful flaked fish! It tasted a bit sour, sweet and spicy! A true appetizer where you'll want a 2nd bowl of Asam Laksa! Though Balik Pulau is off the city, but i don't mind traveling for half an hour to come and eat this^^

According to Wikipedia, Penang laksa, also known as assam laksa from the Malay for tamarind, comes from the Malaysian island of Penang. It is made with mackerel (ikan kembung) soup and its main distinguishing feature is the assam or tamarind which gives the soup a sour taste. The fish is poached and then flaked. Other ingredients that give Penang laksa its distinctive flavour include lemongrass, galangal (lengkuas) and chilli. Typical garnishes includemint, pineapple slices, thinly sliced onion, hε-ko, a thick sweet prawn paste and use of torch ginger flower.

This is my world, how's yours? Click here to join and share with our My World Team your side of the World!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

that looks very filling, a comfort food?

sakaigirl said...

Yes it is! One of the famous hawker food that you can find in Penang! Not really filling though, unless we order a big bowl of it^^

Unknown said...

I wouldn't mind some of that for Lunch, but I think hubby would have some objections ;)

sakaigirl said...

Haha, same as my fiance! He'll get hungry again after an hour or two :p

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Oh.. Laksa Penang!, I'm hungry!

sakaigirl said...

Hi Tabib, i love your bird watching shots! Are you researcher?

nadia said...

My husband (who isn't a fan of seafood) won't have this - but I would most definitely give it a try.

Fish + tamarind + spicy flavor = yummy!

Unknown said...

Ughh...
Sorry I do not like anykind of soup.
I want to warn you,that i changes blog, because i forgot of the user of the previous one.

In the last post, i was speaking that my son was at the hospital by pneumonia, but he´s already at home.

Kisses:)

Unknown said...

emmmm, yummy. My mouth is watery..

sakaigirl said...

Nadia: So u are from Dubai? A very rich country indeed!

Ana: Glad to hear that your son is feeling better! I'll take note of the changes

kbguy: Haha, I'm salivating too thinking of it^^

eastcoastlife said...

Wahhhh! Your Penang laksa makes me drool! I miss Penang Laksa. I have to make a trip back for it!

Erin said...

that looks mighty tasty...love the tamarind flavor and the chili and all the other ingredients...yummy stuff.
now to find such a treat here in the middle of no where...NOT
have a great day.

ediretnati said...

hi friend........ I always intersted to visit you.......... because all your picture always make me want to eat so much.....

Glennis said...

Yum I just love Laksa, we eat lots of it when in Malaysia, would be so nice now!

Bengbeng said...

u were not specific but i think i know the place. i had laksa at this place and that night i had an experience. i doubt u will believe it but it happened.

http://www.mylongkang.com/2007/01/04/my-first-verified-ghost-experience/

fufu said...

yeah...gonna have asam laksa when i go to penang next mth =)

Arija said...

We can get really delicious Laksa in quite a few good restaurants in Adelaide too...Yum yum.

franzy said...

tat asam laksa is very nice...everyone should try that.nice and cheap food.com'on,who dun wan tat,rite?

sakaigirl said...

ECL: There is Laksa Lemak too,the taste is similar to curry mee, using laksa mee.

Erin, ediretnati & Glennis: I'm glad the post makes you happy^^

BengBeng: I didn't take the picture of the shop, just know its at the small town of Balik Pulau. I'll be more specific, thnx for ur comment^^ Im scared of ghost stories, but i read ur post anyway.. I got to knw u better, my respect for u is even more.. May Madam Dolly rest in peace..

fufu: Yep, yep, yep! Shouldn't be missed!

Arija: Wow! Lucky you!

Franzy: Darling, thnx for commenting^^ All the best ya!